Podcast with Steven Rogelberg
Dr. Steven Rogelberg is an organizational psychologist who holds the title of Chancellor’s Professor at UNC Charlotte for distinguished national, international and interdisciplinary contributions. He’s an award-winning teacher and recipient of the very prestigious Humboldt Award for his research with over 100 publications, addressing issues such as team effectiveness, leadership, engagement, health and employee wellbeing, meetings at work and organizational research methods. His latest book, The Surprising Science of Meetings: How You Can Lead Your Team to Peak Performance, was recognized by the Washington Post as the number one leadership book to watch for in 2019 and has been featured in media outlets around the world
In this week’s podcast, we explore the simple steps you can take to run more positive and productive meetings at work.
Connect with Steven Rogelberg:
- [02:27] – Steven explains how workplace meetings offer opportunities to improve our individual and collective wellbeing.
- [03:22] – Steven outlines what his research is finding out about the best meetings in workplaces.
- [05:13] – Steven outlines why so many workplaces meetings struggle to bring out the best in people.
- [06:44] – Steven explains how we can design meetings in ways that allow us and others to be more effective givers at work.
- [08:57] – Steven outlines why planning your meetings to create a little stress can be beneficial for all participants.
- [10:22] – Steven shares what his research has found about the ideal length of our meetings.
- [11:31] – Steven offers some practical tips on how many people to invite to a meeting.
- [14:14] – Steven explains why meetings leaders need to be mindful of the mood of their meetings and how can they shape this practically.
- [17:44] – Steven explains how silence can be used to improve our meetings.
- [19:21] – Steven offers some tips for team members to improve meetings.
- [20:42] – Steven explains how we can make virtual meetings more productive and supportive of our wellbeing.
- [23:36] – Steven completes the Lightning Round.
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of this post.
Please leave an honest review of the Making Positive Psychology Work Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them. And don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Until next time, take care! Thank you Steven!