Podcast with Dr. Diana Whitney
Dr. Diana Whitney is the founder and president of Positive Change, a global consultancy that helps executives and their teams design and facilitate high engagement, appreciative inquiry processes in support of business goals, strategies and innovation. Diana is also the co-founder of the Taos Institute, an education think-tank with over 500 international associates, teaching and doing research into constructive, relational processes in business, education families and communities. Diana is also the author of 18 books and dozens of articles and chapters including the Power of Appreciative Inquiry: A Practical Guide to Positive Change. She has more than 30 years of experience in helping make change happen, and teaching people how to make change happen around the world.
In today’s episode, Diana shares how she uses appreciative inquiry approaches to help organizations have a curious mindset and discover what gives life to their people to help systems create changes that work. Diana shares several case studies and what her research has found enables appreciative inquiry approaches to improve relationships and bottom-line business outcomes.
Connect with Diana Whitney:
- [02:22] – Diana talks about how to introduce appreciative inquiry to clients that you work with.
- [04.24] – Diana gives an example of how she is currently using this approach to help a university address the issue of gender equality.
- [07:40] – Diana talks about how appreciative inquiry deals with what’s not working in an organization.
- [09:42] – Diana explains how successful organizations “nurture out” their staff into roles that are more suitable for them.
- [10:46] – Diana discusses the key skill of flipping or reframing the narrative, to shift the organization and the thinking of people from what the problems are, into more life-affirming positive possibilities.
- [14:45] – Diana shares the incredible case study of Hunter Douglas Window Fashions and the impact appreciative inquiry practices had on their bottom line.
- [19:18] – Diana talks about why appreciative inquiry delivers these kinds of outcomes.
- [22:00] – Lightning round with Diana Whitney
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of this post.
Please leave an honest review for the Making Positive Psychology Work Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them. And don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Until next time, take care! Thank you Diana!