Cy Wakeman is a drama researcher, global thought leader, and New York Times bestselling author, recognized for cultivating a counter-intuitive, reality-based approach to leadership. Cy has helped companies such as Google, Facebook, NASA, and many others to navigate our rapidly changing world, using good mental processes to harness energy wasted in workplace drama and reinvest that effort into achieving profound business results. Her work has been featured in several media outlets around the world. The author of several books, her latest is No Ego: How to Cut the Cost of Drama and Entitlement, and Drive Big Results.
In this week’s episode, we explore why most of us waste, on average, 2.5 hours a day in emotional workplaces dramas and the simple steps we can take to ditch the drama, improve our wellbeing and save ourselves time, energy, and money.
Connect with Cy Wakeman:GET YOUR FREE MAKING IT WORK CHEATSHEET
- [02:36] – Cy explains why workplaces lose billions of dollars every year due to the emotional waste of employees.
- [03:29] – Cy outlines what her research has found drives drama in workplaces.
- [05:23] – Cy shares why most of us lose 2.5 hours a day in unnecessary dramas at work.
- [08:07] – Cy provides some questions leaders can use to help their people ditch the drama.
- [14:23] – Cy shares why leaders can find it hard to ditch the drama in workplaces.
- [15:54] – Cy outlines why a lack of accountability drives drama in many workplaces and how this can be addressed.
- [20:24] – Cy shares why fostering engagement without accountability often leads to entitlement in workplaces.
- [24:29] – Cy shares her insights on why change management should die as an organizational practice in order to minimize drama in workplaces.
- [27:27] – Cy explores how managing our emotional waste better can improve psychological safety in workplaces.
- [29:52] – Cy explains why it’s not enough for employees to just manage their own emotional waste, but why leaders and organizations need to support these behaviours.
- [31:26] – Cy completes the Lightning Round.
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of this post.
Please leave an honest review of the Making Positive Psychology Work Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them. And don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Until next time, take care! Thank you Cy!