Dr. Kelly McGonigal is a health psychologist and lecturer at Stanford University. As a pioneer in the field of science help, her mission is to translate insights from psychology and neuroscience into practical strategies that support personal wellbeing and strengthen communities.
Kelly is the author of several books, including the international bestseller, The Willpower Instinct, The Upside Of Stress, and her upcoming book, The Joy Of Movement. Her TED Talk, How To Make Stress Your Friend, is one of the most viewed TED Talks of all time with over 20 million views.
In today’s podcast, we explore how we can tap into our different stress responses to shape our wellbeing and performance at work.
Connect with Kelly McGonigal:GET YOUR FREE MAKING IT WORK CHEATSHEET
- [03:12] – Kelly shares some of the latest research insights on the upside of stress when it comes to our wellbeing and performance at work.]
- [06:45] – Kelly explains biologically how our fight-or-flight stress response helps us to engage better with life.
- [07:53] – Kelly shares how a challenge stress response can help us step up in challenging situations.
- [10:16] – Kelly explains how a social stress response can help us reach for courage and connection during challenging experiences.
- [14:37] – Kelly outlines how our resilience stress response works to help us learn and grow in the face of difficult or traumatic experiences.
- [18:46] – Kelly explains how we can trigger the stress responses that will serve us best as we navigate work and life.
- [21:49] – Kelly recommends some exercises to help build our levels of stress confidence so we can respond in the ways that serve us and others best.
- [27:24] – Kelly shares her tips on how we can help to shape the conversations about reducing stress in workplaces.
- [33:38] – Kelly completes the Lightning Round.
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of this post.
Please leave an honest review of the Making Positive Psychology Work Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them. And don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
You can also listen to all the episodes of Making Positive Psychology Work streamed directly to your smartphone or iPad through stitcher. No need for downloading or syncing.
Until next time, take care! Thank you Kelly!
Wellbeing Survey For Youth
Our free PERMAH Wellbeing Survey Tool For Youth is now available.Learn More
Wellbeing Survey For Kids
Our FREE PERMAH Survey tool for Kids under 12 is now available.Learn More
Listen to the world’s leading positive psychology researchers and practitioners as they share their insights on our top-rated podcast.Listen Now
Do you want to help boost people’s wellbeing, resilience & performance? Then join us for the next round of Certificate In Creating Wellbeing.Learn More
- Making Positive Psychology Work - Afterparty
Podcast with Chelle, Paige and Michelle
- Do You Have A Wellbeing Strategy?
Podcast with Dr. Peggy Kern
- Do You Need A Wise Intervention?
Podcast with Greg Walton