Dr. Michael Maddaus is a retired professor of thoracic surgery at the University of Minnesota, who has trained with Kristin Neff and Chris Germer to teach self-compassion. Michael currently works with individuals and with surgical groups to help them enhance their resilience and ability to thrive.
In this week’s podcast, we discover how investing in small daily wellbeing behaviors can help workers to build a resilience bank account that helps them to avoid burnout.
Connect with Dr. Michael Maddaus:GET YOUR FREE MAKING IT WORK CHEATSHEET
- [ 03:23] – Michael defines the three domains of burnout.
- [05:49] – Michael explains what radical acceptance of emotional exhaustion might look like practically in our jobs.
- [07:00] – Michael shares what radical acceptance of cynicism might look like practically in our jobs.
- [08:45] – Michael explains what radical acceptance of depersonalization might look like practically in our jobs.
- [10:05] – Michael shares some tips for how workplaces can support people experiencing burnout.
- [12:33] – Michael explains how a resilience bank account can help protect us from burnout at work.
- [14:58] – Michael offers some practical approaches to keep our resilience bank accounts topped up.
- [20:14] – Michael shares some practical examples of how teams can support each other’s resilience bank accounts.
- [26:19] – Michael enters the lightning round.
Thanks for listening!
- MPPW Podcast on Facebook
- The Molecule of More by Daniel Lieberman, Tom Parks & Michael Long
- Women @ Work Podcast
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of this post.
Please leave an honest review for the Making Positive Psychology Work Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them. And don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
You can also listen to all the episodes of Making Positive Psychology Work streamed directly to your smartphone or iPad through stitcher. No need for downloading or syncing.
Until next time, take care! Thank you, Michael!
Wellbeing Survey For Youth
Our free PERMAH Wellbeing Survey Tool For Youth is now available.Learn More
Wellbeing Survey For Kids
Our FREE PERMAH Survey tool for Kids under 12 is now available.Learn More
Listen to the world’s leading positive psychology researchers and practitioners as they share their insights on our top-rated podcast.Listen Now
Do you want to help boost people’s wellbeing, resilience & performance? Then join us for the next round of Certificate In Creating Wellbeing.Learn More
- Making Positive Psychology Work - Afterparty
Podcast with Chelle, Paige and Michelle
- Do You Have A Wellbeing Strategy?
Podcast with Dr. Peggy Kern
- Do You Need A Wise Intervention?
Podcast with Greg Walton