Dr. BJ Fogg teaches good people how behavior works, so they can create products and services that benefit everyday people around the world. A behavioral scientist with deep experience in innovation and teaching, BJ runs a research lab at Stanford University, and trains innovators to use his work, so they can create solutions that influence behavior in health, financial wellbeing, learning, productivity, and more. He’s personally coached over 40,000 people informing new habits using his breakthrough method called Tiny Habits. And, his forthcoming book Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything is scheduled for publication in early 2020.
In this week’s episode, we learn the simple recipe for creating tiny habits and how to deal with our motivation monkeys and surface the golden behaviors that improve our wellbeing.
Connect with BJ Fogg:GET YOUR FREE MAKING IT WORK CHEATSHEET
- [02:39] – BJ explains why most of us find changing our behaviors challenging because we approach change in the wrong way.
- [04:16] – BJ outlines the three variables his research has found that can make changing our behavior easier.
- [08:17] – BJ explains why our motivations for changing our behavior is often unreliable and how we can tame our motivation monkeys.
- [09:49] – BJ shares some tips on managing motivation conflicts and motivation waves when it comes to changing our behaviors.
- [13:12] – BJ shares his tips for how we can surface golden behaviors to create more of the changes we’re wanting.
- [15:43] – BJ helps us understand the important difference between our aspirations, our goals, and our behaviors when it comes to surfacing our golden behaviors.
- [17:32] – BJ shares the recipe for turning golden behaviors into tiny habits.
- [20:22] – BJ explains why we need to celebrate the completion of our habits and the role mood plays in helping us to create behavior changes.
- [25:46] – BJ outlines how an ability chain model can help us troubleshoot our tiny habits when the changes we want to create become stuck.
- [27:41] – BJ completes the Lightning Round.
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of this post.
Please leave an honest review of the Making Positive Psychology Work Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them. And don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Until next time, take care! Thank you BJ!