Valorie Burton is the founder and CEO of the Coaching and Positive Psychology Institute and a best-selling author, international speaker, and life strategist. Valorie has a master’s in applied positive psychology from the University of Pennsylvania, and her company provides coaching, coach training, and resilience training and has served clients in all 50 American states and 15 countries on six continents. Since 1999, she has written 13 books on personal development, including the best sellers Successful Women Think Differently and What’s Really Holding You Back? And she’s been featured in media outlets around the world.
In this week’s episode, we explore how to practice racial empathy in workplaces and the simple steps workers can take to be respectful and effective white allies.
Connect with Valorie Burton:GET YOUR FREE MAKING IT WORK CHEATSHEET
- [03:13] – Valorie explains how the murder of George Floyd caused her to speak out on the need for racial empathy.
- [07:28] – Valorie shares why in order to become unstuck on the issue of racism in workplaces we need to start telling the truth.
- [11:29] – Valorie helps us understand why it often difficult for people of color to talk about what’s happening and the impact that racism has on them at work.
- [15:07] – Valorie offers suggestions for how white allies can help better support people of color in their workplace.
- [21:39] – Valorie provides some tips for how people of color – if they wish – can encourage white allies to take action.
- [25:16] – Valorie explains people of color often don’t need help from white allies but do need them to listen.
- [29:46] – Valorie enters the lightning round.
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of this post.
Please leave an honest review of the Making Positive Psychology Work Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them. And don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Until next time, take care! Thank you, Valorie!