Nic Marks was once described as a statistician with a soul, due to his unusual combination of hard statistical skills and softer people skills. Nic’s been working in the field of happiness, wellbeing, and quality of life for over 25 years, with a particular emphasis on measurement and how to create positive change. Nic and his colleagues created the Five Ways to Wellbeing for the UK government office of science, and he’s the founder of Friday Pulse, who has worked with over one thousand organizations and teams measuring and improving their happiness at work.
In this week’s episode we discover the five evidence-based approaches teams can playfully experiment with as they head back to the office to improve their resilience and wellbeing.
Connect with Nic Marks:GET YOUR FREE MAKING IT WORK CHEATSHEET
- [02:45] – Nic explains how we can differentiate happiness and wellbeing in our workplaces
- [06:08] – Nic outlines the business case for investing in employee wellbeing.
- [07:23] – Nic outlines the five evidence-based ways we can improve the wellbeing and resilience of teams at work.
- [09:56] – Nic provides an example of how we can make hybrid working arrangements fairer for teams.
- [11:42] – Nic shares how leaders can help their teams strike the right balance of learning and challenge without burning people out.
- [12:56] – Nic explains why encouraging teams to playfully experiment as they work can boost psychological safety, creativity, and innovation.
- [17:19] – Nic shares how we can optimize meaning and purpose in our teams without creating passion fatigue for workers.
- [19:27] – Nic shares some suggestions on how teams can set healthy boundaries as they work together.
- [22:16] – Nic shares insights from the new World Happiness reports on the impact that COVID has had on worker wellbeing.
- [24:52] – Nic enters the lightning round…
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of this post.
Please leave an honest review for the Making Positive Psychology Work Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them. And don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
You can also listen to all the episodes of Making Positive Psychology Work streamed directly to your smartphone or iPad through stitcher. No need for downloading or syncing.
Until next time, take care! Thank you, Nic!
Wellbeing Survey For Youth
Our free PERMAH Wellbeing Survey Tool For Youth is now available.Learn More
Wellbeing Survey For Kids
Our FREE PERMAH Survey tool for Kids under 12 is now available.Learn More
Listen to the world’s leading positive psychology researchers and practitioners as they share their insights on our top-rated podcast.Listen Now
Do you want to help boost people’s wellbeing, resilience & performance? Then join us for the next round of Certificate In Creating Wellbeing.Learn More
- Making Positive Psychology Work - Afterparty
Podcast with Chelle, Paige and Michelle
- Do You Have A Wellbeing Strategy?
Podcast with Dr. Peggy Kern
- Do You Need A Wise Intervention?
Podcast with Greg Walton