Today we’re talking to Tamra Chandler who is the founder and CEO of PeopleFirm, one of Forbes Magazine’s 2018 America’s Best Management Consulting firms. A nationally recognized thought leader, author, and speaker, Tamra has spent most of her thirty-year career developing new and effective ways for people and their organizations to perform at their peak. In 2016, she wrote the acclaimed book, “How Performance Management is Killing Performance and What to Do About It.”
In this episode, we explore how existing performance management practices are often not only ineffective but detrimental in workplaces and why leaders hang on to them. Tamra helps us to explore the alternatives and how focusing on strengths, building our growth mindiset feedback muscles and improving psychological safety with coaching focused development conversations can help people thrive in their roles.
Connect with Tamra:
Website: http://www.peoplefirm.com/GET YOUR FREE MAKING IT WORK CHEATSHEET
- [02:23] – Tamra explains why she’s found that performance management processes are generally killing performance in workplaces.
- [05:55] – Tamra shares how performance conversations can help people to develop their strengths and improve psychological safety.
- [08:46] – Tamra explains why despite all the evidence we have about helping people to thrive at work, organizations continue to persist with performance management approaches that are ineffective.
- [11:49] – Tamra outlines the steps workplaces and leaders can take to improve their performance management processes.
- [14:42] – Tamra explains why managers struggle to accurately rate most people’s performance at work.
- [16:05] – Tamra suggests rating how managers feel about their people’s future potential is a better way to assess people’s talent in workplaces and why these conversations should be transparent.
- [18:17] – Tamra explains why workplaces need to arm people with the courage and capability to seek more feedback on their own.
- [20:41] – Tamra provides some tips on what leaders can do to improve people’s performance – regardless of their workplace’s performance management systems.
- [23:15] – Tamra completes the lightning round.
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of this post.
Please leave an honest review for the Making Positive Psychology Work Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them. And don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Until next time, take care! Thank you Tamra!