Podcast with Prof. Bob Quinn
My guest today is Robert Quinn, a leading researcher in the field of positive organizational scholarship.
Robert’s Blog: https://thepositiveorganization.wordpress.com/
While many organizations aspire to create a more positive culture for their employees, this is a transition that can be difficult to accomplish because we’re often stuck in conventional mental maps about how workplaces really function. The good news is that embracing a more positive mental map, doesn’t mean you have to deny the conventional realities your organization may be facing. In fact, the best cultures seem to be created by becoming bilingual in both the problem-solving and purpose-finding models.
In this interview, you will hear Bob’s thoughts on the introduction and implementation of these positive practices. He shares examples of handling situations through conventional approaches and positive practices.
Bob also shares the four questions to ask to transform yourself into a positive state and get different results than you have in the past:
- What results to I want to create?
- Am I internally directed?
- Am I other-focused?
- Am I externally open?
This interview was produced in partnership with the Positive Business Conference held each year at the University of Michigan.
- [2:26] – Assumptions of conventional social science and alternatives to those assumptions
- [4:29] – Robert shares an example of the destruction of the culture of an organization through conventional decision-making and strategy.
- [5:55] – To contrast the previous story, Robert shares an example of handling down-sizing with positive practices.
- [7:59] – Flourishing means overcoming natural fear
- [9:41] – Positive practices are an addition, not a replacement to the conventional mind map.
- [10:44] – Finding a balance with conventional methods and positive practices
- [12:50] – Robert shares his thoughts on how to introduce and implement these ideas.
- [16:21] – Contributive goals help people take risks
- [17:45] – Robert talks about the transformation he sees in his workshops.
- [18:33] – The lightning round with Robert Quinn.
- “The Positive Organization: Breaking Free from Conventional Cultures, Constraints, and Beliefs” – Robert Quinn
- Lift Exchange Tool
- “Life on Purpose: How Living for What Matters Most Changes Everything” – Victor J Strecher
- “The Path of Least Resistance: Learning to Become the Creative Force in Your Own Life” – Robert Fritz
- Positive Business Conference
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of this post.
Also please leave an honest review for the Making Positive Psychology Work Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Special thanks to Robert for joining me this week. Until next time, take care!