Adam Grant is a leading expert on how we can find motivation and meaning, and live more generous and creative lives. He has been recognized as one of the world’s 25 most influential management thinkers, is the author of three New York Times best-selling books, and his TED Talks have been viewed more than 8-million times.
In this conversation, you will hear Adam explain how our beliefs about our relationships at work shape the success we are able to achieve. Adam walks us through his research on givers, takers and matchers and what organizations can do to cultivate giving cultures. He also explains how to deal with takers, the value of disagreeable givers and the small practices you can try to be an effective giver.
Connect with Adam Grant:
Website – http://AdamGrant.netGET YOUR FREE MAKING IT WORK CHEATSHEET
- [02:02] – Adam shares what advice he gives the organizations on how to lead and manage people better.
- [03:23] – Adam talks about the importance of organization rewarding the right people through measuring others-focused behaviors and results.
- [05:51] – Adam shares his thoughts on dealing with “takers” in an organization and bringing out the positive qualities in these individuals.
- [09:55] – Adam explains how to be a thoughtful giver within an organization.
- [13:56] – Adam cites that doing 5-minute favors at work raises your job satisfaction. He goes on to explain that the receivers of those favors pay back at 278%.
- [16:00] – Adam shares his thoughts on why self-compassion is important to help set boundaries and say “no” so we can be more effective givers.
- [17:46] – Adam explains how his opinions have changed on the topic of needing takers in an organization.
- [20:56] – Adam recently found that the most important driver of engagement at work was pride in the company.
- [23:31] – The Lightning Round with Adam Grant.
- Give and Take: Why Helping Others Drives Our Success – Adam Grant
- Adam Grant Ted Talk: Are you a giver or a taker?
- Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy – Sheryl Sandberg and Adam Grant
- Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World – Adam Grant
- Supernormal: The Untold Story of Adversity and Resilience – Meg Jay
- The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups – Daniel Coyle
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of this post.
Please leave an honest review for the Making Positive Psychology Work Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them. And don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Special thanks to Adam for joining us this week. Until next time, take care!