My guest today is Professor Gretchen Spreitzer, the faculty director for the Center of Positive Organizations at the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan.
Gretchen Spreitzer’s website: https://sites.google.com/a/umich.edu/spreitzer/home
In this interview, you’ll hear Gretchen talk about her research exploring how we help people to thrive in organizations. She shares practical ways for organizations to do this through her four levers to promote sustainability, and basic and easily implemented tactics for individuals to use no matter what job they find themselves in.
GET YOUR FREE MAKING IT WORK CHEATSHEET
● [1:43] – In today’s world, it is easy to get burned out and we need to make performance sustainable.
● [3:44] – Gretchen shares the four levers organizations can use to promote sustainability.
● [7:42] – Gretchen talks about the balance of responsibility between organizations and individuals in regards to employee growth and sustainability.
● [8:40] – What can individuals do when their organization doesn’t promote growth and sustainability?
● [12:05] – Gretchen discusses about her findings that co-working spaces lead to higher mean scores of thriving.
● [15:47] – Gretchen talks about resilience for people in difficult situations. Thriving is not about bouncing back, it’s about bouncing better.
● [17:43] – Thriving and growing proactively, when there isn’t a difficulty or challenge.
● [19:13] – Should organizations expect and encourage an approach of thriving when someone is struggling, personally?
● [20:04] – The lightning round with Gretchen Spreitzer
- Reflected Best Self Exercise – http://positiveorgs.bus.umich.edu/cpo-tools/reflected- best-self-exercise-2nd- edition/
- How to Be a Positive Leader: Small Actions, Big Impact – Jane E. Dutton and Gretchen M. Spreitzer – https://amzn.com/1626560285
- The Positive Organization: Breaking Free from Conventional Cultures, Constraints, and Beliefs – Robert E Quinn – https://amzn.com/1626565627
- Finding Purpose: Environmental Stewardship as a Personal Calling – Andrew J. Hoffman – https://amzn.com/1783533722
- Positive Business Conference – http://positivebusinessconference.com
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of this post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Making Positive Psychology Work Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Special thanks to Gretchen for joining me this week. Until next time, take care!