Podcast with Dr. Robert Biswas-Diener
Joining me in this week’s episode is Robert Biswas-Diener, a leading researcher on culture and wellbeing, positive psychology coaching, and author of several wonderful books including The Upside of Your Dark Side.
With recent political changes in the United States and the UK leaving many feeling fearful and apprehensive about the future, Robert shares his insights on how to become comfortable with these uncomfortable feelings. He suggests rather than trying to whitewash them, by accepting them, and seeing them as signals that something isn’t right, you can then decide on a constructive response to what’s unfolding. These lessons also can apply in workplaces when looming mergers or restructures stir up similar feelings of uncertainty and fear.
Connect with Robert Biswas-Diener
- [01:37] – Robert talks about how emotions are like signals giving us a mental thumbs-up or thumbs-down about the quality of our life.
- [05:35] – If you are fearful, it’s telling you that something you care about may be under threat, and you may need to protect it.
- [07:54] – Robert explains when you can get comfortably uncomfortable with your negative emotions, instead of feeling overwhelmed, you can act constructively.
- [11:05] – Robert explains one important step in tolerating these emotions, is to specifically label the emotion. This can help to understand what message it may be telling you.
- [13:54] – When people are experiencing incredible change in workplaces and feeling very negative, Robert talks about how it’s important for leaders to build capacity in their employees.
- [16:20] – Sometimes leaders need to challenge apprehension and other times it’s ok to validate concerns.
- [17:49] – Robert believes happiness and wellbeing doesn’t have to be a mandate at work.
- [20:30] –To be a whole person you need to experience and draw on the full range of positive and negative emotions.
- [21:35] – Robert explains why “you never want cheerful optimists in the control tower, directing flight traffic.”
- [22:18] – The Lightning Round with Robert Biswas-Diener
- The Upside of Your Dark Side: Why Being Your Whole Self–Not Just Your “Good” Self–Drives Success and Fulfillment – Robert Biswas-Diener & Todd Kashdan
- View all of Robert Biswas-Diener’s books on Amazon
- Give and Take: Why Helping Others Drives Our Success – Adam Grant
- Love at Goon Park: Harry Harlow and the Science of Affection – Deborah Blum
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of this post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Making Positive Psychology Work Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Special thanks to Robert for joining me this week. Until next time, take care!