Podcast with Vanessa King
Vanessa King is a board member of Action for Happiness, which is a UK-based not-for-profit that focuses on proactively building skills for psychological wellbeing and resilience. She’s also the architect of the Ten Keys to Happier Living. She joins me on this episode to talk about her Ten Keys to Happier Living.
Do you dream of a happier life? Discover Vanessa’s evidence-based, ten keys to happier living which form the acronym, GREAT DREAM, and how small practical intentional activities can help you feel good and function well more consistently at work and in life and how these skills can be embedded in workplaces.
Connect with Vanessa King:
- [01:45] – Vanessa explains that the Ten Keys to Happier Living are areas that we can take action in to help ourselves and other people be happier.
- [02:14] – Vanessa explains each of the ten keys that make up GREAT DREAM
- [05:40] – Vanessa talks about the importance of having an attitude of experimentation when you are making changes.
- [06:30] – Vanessa explains how sharing what you’re doing with other people can help create momentum through accountability.
- [11:40] – Vanessa emphasizes that these are ten keys to happier living, not ten keys to happiness.
- [14:06] – Vanessa talks about her program, Doing Well From the Inside Out, which helps build wellbeing in the workplace.
- [18:34] – Vanessa explains how she presents these strategies to businesses, and how to think about organizations systemically.
- [22:30] – With ever increasing technology it can be difficult to predict the future, so Vanessa suggests it’s important to get back to the basics with happy living.
- [23:14] – The Lightning Round with Vanessa King.
- The 10 Keys to Happier Living – A practical and evidence-based guide
- Mindful Compassion: How the Science of Compassion Can Help You Understand Your Emotions, Live in the Present, and Connect Deeply with Others – Paul Gilbert PhD
- Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself – Kristin Neff
- Play: How it Shapes the Brain, Opens the Imagination, and Invigorates the Soul – Stuart Brown and Christopher Vaughan
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of this post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Making Positive Psychology Work Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Special thanks to Vanessa for joining me this week. Until next time, take care!